Tuesday, June 19, 2012

LIVE CHAT with Carlos Ruíz Zafón on the Guardian website


Today, between 2pm and 3pm, Carlos Ruíz Zafón, author of Shadow of the Wind has answered various sorts of questions about his books, writing and influences:
Any advice for a new author?
Do you listen to music when you write?
Any hobby confessable?
Carlos Ruíz Zafón replies:
Write, write and write. And then rewrite. To death. Work hard. Learn your craft. Never give up. Persevere. Don't become a snob, a bitter hater or an envious person. Work hard for your goals. Write from your heart, but make sure before it gets to your fingers it goes through your brain. And did I mention do not give up?
Music is what I most in the world, so I have to be careful when writing to it because my mind wanders into the orchestrations, the bassline... Sometimes I do, yes. But in a deeply controlled way.
Confessable hobbies? Playing and writing music, watching the world go by, chasing beauty and knowledge and doing nothing at all.
I am sorry, but I cannot read your book for obvious legal reasons. You want an editor or an agent to do that. Best of luck.
To read more questions and the author’s answers, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment