Monday, October 29, 2012

SUSIE BOYT - Freud's Granddaughter is into writing


 Her new novel, The Small Hours, is a psychological drama about Harriet, a brash but troubled woman who opens the nursery school of her dreams.

(SOME EXCERPTS FROM THE INTERVIEW)
Do you see Harriet in the tradition of English schoolteacher heroines?
There are references to both Jean Brodie andLucy Snowe in the novel, but I was thinking about other influences too. Someone described the novel as The Turn of the Screw meets The Nanny Diaries and I was quite pleased about that.

Is childhood a period you're particularly drawn to?
I'm very Freudian in the way I look at things. Any character I ever create, I'm thinking about her parents, and her parents' parents. It's just the way I see the world.

Read the whole article here.

I think I know who's gonna enjoy this post! :) Especially posted for you, Ana.

No comments:

Post a Comment