Friday, March 15, 2013

POE IS STILL HAUNTING ME


I must confess I have a love-hate relationship with Mr Edgar Allan Poe. I read his stories when I was 12 years old and received one of his books as a present. It scared me to death but I couldn't put it down.

Then at university The Fall of the House of Usher and The Raven brought us together again. And yet again, he got me in his grip, so I went up to the attic to look for that book of short stories.

This year my brother had to read The Black Cat and Other Stories for school, so it gave me the perfect excuse to read it for the third time. His writing literally creeps me out and yet I can't deny he's a master of suspense and able to paint a vivid picture in your brain.

Recently, I heard about The Following, an American TV series: FBI agent (Kevin Bacon) chasing Joe Carroll (Kevin Williamson), a former college professor who is now a serial killer. Guess what Carroll taught at college? Literature! And he killed young women in the honor of whom? EDGAR ALLAN POE. References to his works are everywhere, in the followers' names, quotations, drawings,... I've just watched episode 9 and I am oficially hooked.


No comments:

Post a Comment