Thursday, March 7, 2013

World Book Day


Did you know that World Book Day is the first Thursday of March? In other words, today! What a coincidence, looking for some material for a post to spice up the blog, I found out that this is a celebration that has been taking place since 1995 and officially recognized by UNESCO. In Britain, children in some schools dress up as literary characters. Read this article from the BBC News Magazine. So what are you waiting for, pick up a book and dress up. Now let me think, I'm trying to decide if I should dress up as Huck Finn or Captain Ahab. What literary character do you think would make a good costume?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I didn't know about World Book Day. Literary characters? Let me think...well, I know it doesn't sound very original but I think I would go for the Creature in FRANKENSTEIN. Oh! A really difficult one...Godot in WAITING FOR GODOT :-) and among female characters...any of Jane Austen's protagonists (maybe Emma) or Agatha Christie's Miss Marple

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew about World Book Day, and have been intending to organize something for about 2 years but I never get down to it, a costume party was among my ideas too!! Maybe next year?

    About the characters, I'd settle for MORIARTY (The Final Problem, Conan Doyle); RICHARD III, Count DRACULA or even Mr HYDE (especially after seeing John Malkovich play him). Yes, I like characters with a dark side.

    As for women, how about some interesting girls like LISBETH SALANDER (true survivor, computer hacker, photographic memory) or even MULAN (not the Disney princess, but the bad-ass girl who goes to war in place of her father, wins all over the place and comes back home as if nothing had happened, from the 6th-century Chinese poem, The Ballad of Hua Mulan).

    ReplyDelete