Thursday, May 2, 2013

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING - Shakespeare in the Big Screen (yet again)

Shakespeare was not only A master but THE master. He wrote about everything (the big themes in literature, but also in our daily lives) in almost every possible genre. His command of the iambic pentameter, his contributions to the English lexicon, his witty dialogues, his unforgettable characters - we've got so much to thank him for.

And even if I go back to his plays and sonnets often, the one that still captivates me is Much Ado About Nothing. I don't think it can get much better than Beatrice and Benedick's verbal fight. In fact, every time the word "witty" comes to mind I think of them. I first learnt that word connected to this play and its dialogues.


Then came Kenneth Branagh and his 1993 movie with all those beautiful Tuscan landscapes and warm light. And him and Emma Thompson just nailing the dialogues and the characters. Forget about Claudio and Hero, the BB combo just sweeps you off your feet.

So you can imagine my excitement hearing that there's a new spin-off coming out in June. It is an independent production written and produced by Joss Whedon,  scriptwriter and director of action titles such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or The Avengers. The actors? Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof, Nathan Fillion, Clark Gregg, Reed Diamond, Fran Kranz, Sean Maher, Spencer Treat Clark, Riki Lindhome and Ashley Johnson. Don't ask me, no idea who they are!


The shooting took place during what was to be Whedon's vacation after shooting The Avengers. In any case, I'm interested to see what Whedon's gonna do. Branagh's set the bar high, though. What still holds true is that our dear Bard continues to be a cash cow.




1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I'm going to give it a chance. The Branagh's film is one of my favourite movie ever...

    ReplyDelete