Monday, May 6, 2013

THE GREATNESS OF GATSBY REVISITED

Aren't you excited that Gatsby is going to be taken to the silver screen again? I have to say, even if I don't end up enjoying the movie, I am always happy movie adaptations of books come out because it means a boost in book sales.  There are always those who watch the movie and decide to read the book -and much to my rejoicing, normally, the reading experience surpasses their expectations.

In any case, I am leaving the trailer with you.


And a very poetical article. Here's a sample:

"You ponder why "Gatsby" the novel wasn't an immediate success, and why Fitzgerald, weary and sodden, died at 44 believing himself to be a failure and his work forgotten. You marvel at how an essentially melancholy book nonetheless is sprinkled with delightful wit; and how the sadness at the heart of "The Great Gatsby" somehow hardens into a small gleaming pearl."

"At the time of this writing, I haven't yet seen Luhrmann's film, and aam awaiting it with some excitement and some trepidation. The casting, sight unseen, feels right (...). But will all t he 3D and color and noise (Luhrmann's style is famously love-it-or-hate-it flashy, i.e. "Moulin Rouge"), drown out Fitzgerald's music? Will that magical mood of the novel find its way to the screen or will it prove as elusive as Gatsby's dreams?".


1 comment:

  1. I have finally got down to watch it, and for me, it's a PASS! I loved it, the aesthetics, the movie, even Di Caprio's role, not bad! Plus it made me want to read the novel again.

    ReplyDelete